Today was my first true day here and it was…. Interesting. We started off the day feeding the few ponies that have already returned for the summer, and when I say ponies, I do mean that the majority are ponies. Not Fiona size ponies but tiny glorified miniature horse size. It is rather entertaining. We got to work some horses in a mock lesson this morning and I rode a little black mare named Cat. They have the weirdest names here! We didn’t do too much since the horses are still out of shape and are being worked twice a day at the moment. We worked on some inside and outside bend at the walk and trot as well as some forward and downward transitions. They told me to ride the mare in spurs and within a few minutes it was clear that she did NOT need them, then I found out that she has been off the past two years to injury, no wonder. Lol Other than that she was a lot of fun, she had a beautiful sitting trot, perfect for my back, and she was really responsive to downward transitions. Her main issue, she doesn’t bend her hocks and has very little impulsion from the hindquarters, it was like a less green Fiona J The rest of the morning was spent bedding all of the stalls in the anticipation of other horses returning which was super easy and then lunch and a quick trip into “town” (smaller than Fulton) for some snacks and bottles of water. The afternoon brought a lesson taught by me, helping out the farrier, and cleaning a ton of tack!! All in All a VERY easy day. We then had from 5pm on to do whatever we wanted to…at camp of course since there is no real town nearby and when I say camp I mean our dorm or the tent we eat under…. that is camp. Of course there is a pool but after the 96 degree temps yesterday, it is freezing today…typical crazy weather. I am determined to make this an amazing summer no matter what, off to talk to my roommates and…well that’s about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment